On the Catholic Priesthood
The Titles of a Catholic Priest.
1. He is a king, reigning not over unwilling subjects, but over the hearts and affections of his people.
2. He is a shepherd, because he leads his flock into the delicious pastures of the sacraments, and shelters them from the wolves that lie in wait for their souls.
3. He is a father, because he breaks the bread of life to his spiritual children whom he has begotten in Jesus through the Gospel.
4. He is a judge whose office it is to pass sentence of pardon on self-accusing sinners.
5. He is a physician because he heals their souls from the loathsome distempers of sin.
Cardinal James Gibbons.
Source: Our Church, Her Children and Institutions, 1908